We have some of the best facilities of any educational establishment in the country including:
- A 280 Hectare working farm
- Blacksmith forge and welding workshops
- Animal Park
- New state of the art Animal Science centre
- International-sized indoor equine arena and stables
- Grooming Salon and kennels
- Learning Resources Centre
- High ropes courses/climbing wall
- 5 acre lake
- Sports pitches
- Formal landscaped gardens
- Arable unit covering 125 hectares, helping you understand commercial arable production whilst promoting positive benefits to wildlife conservation
- Large fleet of high-tech agricultural machinery
- Pedigree herd of 105 Holstein Friesians, 400 ewes, 15 sows, 40 beef cattle, seasonal turkeys and pedigree Aberdeen Angus suckling herd
- 155 hectares of permanent and temporary pasture including 40 hectares of water meadows
- Farm buildings housing rearing facilities, handling areas and accommodation for sheep, calves and pigs
- Workshops to learn repair and maintenance of machinery
- Purpose-built cattle demonstration and handling area for training
Our milk is sold to Dairy Crest on a liquid milk contract.
Winter accommodation consists of cubicle housing for up to 90 cows plus loose straw housing.
The Royal Veterinary College has an outreach centre for their internships based on the Kingston Maurward Estate. Their students use the dairy herd to study for both practical and theory knowledge transfer.
The Dairy provides students with a wide range practical training. This includes milking, heat detection, hoof trimming and routine tasks such as feeding, yard scraping and bedding.
The Equestrian Centre
We offer a wide range of top-class facilities and services to competitors of all levels. All these facilities are available to our students and can be hired for shows, rallies and training purposes.
International Indoor Arena (62m x 26.5m)
Light and airy, providing an exceptional learning environment for all students and competitors.
- Gel-track surface
- Training mirrors,
- PA and sound system
- Competition standard lighting
- Seating for 250
- Judges boxes and timing equipment
- Television screen and video camera
Championship outdoor arena
- All-new weather surface
- White duralock portable fencing to separate training areas
- Permanent stabling for 36 horses
- Equine solarium and shower facility
- Horse walker for up to five horses
- Mechanical horse
- Lecture room seating 32 learners with Smart Board, TV/DVD, six computers, OHP and horse skeleton
- Lecture room
- Interview room
- Tack room
- Rug room
- Feed room
- Hay and bedding storage
- Set of BSJA standard championship show jumps including a portable water jump
- Dressage arena boards, marker boards and ornamental trees for two international sized arenas
- Cross country course including ditches and banks
- Allocated hard-standing area regularly used for 30 additional temporary stables
The Horticulture Centre
The college is set within rolling lawns with substantial specimen trees bordering a large ornamental lake. The formal gardens are set in the arts and crafts Edwardian style with closely clipped Yew hedges creating a series of garden rooms. The walled garden has extensive plant collections including herbaceous perennials and season displays. We host two Plant Heritage collections of Salvias and Penstemons and our brand new glasshouses will bring Kingston Maurward College to the forefront of modern horticulture and significantly enhance our students’ learning experience. The new structures will house classrooms, tool stores, learning resources and production horticulture facilities. Sections will be dedicated to displays of exotic, ornamental, tropical & hothouse plants and a propagation area which will allow existing plant collections to be extended.
The Farm Park
The Farm Park accommodates an extensive range of rare and traditional breeds that includes, sheep, alpacas, chickens and goats, meet the piglets, miniature Shetland ponies, alpacas, giant rabbits and many more.
The Animal Centre
Modern large, purpose built centre with industry standard housing for an extensive range of animal species.
- Two reptile rooms
- Two small mammal rooms
- Large aquatics room with facilities for providing plants for animal feed grown through an aquaponic system
- Purpose built animal enclosures
- Practical teaching rooms
- Dog grooming salon
The Dorset Studio School is situated within a 750 acre estate and encompasses a range of facilities which enables us to offer a wide range of activities without having to leave the campus.
Our facilities include a 5 acre lake which is set within a Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown styled garden, a High and Low Ropes adventure course situated in a copse of trees to the west of the campus, a bouldering wall, archery range, sports pitches and acres of Parkland which are ideal for carrying out a range of adventurous activities, and there is always plenty of room to camp. The campus is ideally situated next to Puddletown forest which is great for Mountain Biking and testing your Navigation skills and we are a stone’s throw from the ‘Jurassic Coast’ where we carry out some of our more adventurous activities like Rock Climbing and Sea Kayaking.